Lawrence Duggan

http://www.history.udel.edu/lawrenceduggan/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2014/09/Duggan-Lawrence.jpg
  • Professor
lgjd@udel.edu
(302) 831-6501
219 John Munroe Hall
Courses Search
Experts & Speakers

Lawrence G. Duggan specializes in the later Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation, with an emphasis on church and German history. He received his A.B. from the College of the Holy Cross in 1965 and his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1971, and has been at the University since 1970. He is the author of Bishop and Chapter: The Governance of the Bishopric of Speyer to 1552 (Rutgers, 1978), Armsbearing and the Clergy in the History and Canon Law of Western Christianity (Boydell , 2013), Sense and Nonsense about  Machiavelli (forthcoming), and of many articles, including “Was Art Really the ‘Book of the Illiterate’?”, “’For Force is Not of God’ Compulsion and Conversion from Yahweh to Charlemagne,”  “Fear and Confession on the Eve of the Reformation,” and “Were Nicholas V and Pius II Really Renaissance Popes?”.  Currently he is preparing the manuscripts of Legislation of the Medieval and Early Modern Religious Orders on Armsbearing, Ecclesiastical “Moneylending” in Later Medieval Germany, and The Renaissance? A Reassessment (under contract with Rowan and Littlefield in its Critical Issues in History series). He has been a Visiting Member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton and is a lifetime Research Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation of Germany.

Publications

Books:

  • Armsbearing and the Clergy in the History and Canon Law of Western Christianity (Boydell, 2013).
  • Bishop and Chapter: The Governance of the Bishopric of Speyer to 1552 (Rutgers, 1978).

Links to Publications

  • Armsbearing and the Clergy in the History and Canon Law of Western Christianity
  • Bishop and Chapter

Department of History • 236 John Munroe Hall • Newark, DE 19716 • USA
Phone: 302-831-2371 • Fax: 302-831-1538


Map background Ratzer, Bernard "Province of New Jersey" (map) courtesy Special Collections, University of Delaware Library, Newark Delaware.